What is sump construction?
Sump construction is an important element of house construction. A sump is a multi-water storage for both borewell and municipal water.
How do you build a water sump construction?
- The outer layer could be with a 4-inch brick wall. The brick wall prevents the sump wall from expansion when water is filled.
- Fill the outside of the sump wall with excavated mud and soaked in water. You need to use steel rods to fill the mud inside and allow the stiffness of mud around the sump. Concrete can be used to fill the gaps especially towards your building in case of close to the footing. This prevents any wastage to reach your building foundation.
- Leave a day or two to cure and set the wall properly.
- Now ask the rod buster to build a mat. Better consult your engineer.
- The rebars should be bent into another toward the edges and corners.
- Tie a wire mesh to this mat. This helps to hold the plastering better and they are secured to the mat using binding wires.
- Mix the plastering cement + river sand[m-sand] with waterproofing cement mixtures, which makes the cement nonporous and block capillary action. They provide the plaster waterproof to an extent.
- Now finish the plastering.
- While finishing check that all corners and all edges of the tank are rounded instead of parallel to each others. That reduces the pressure and water exert on the sump walls at edges and corners.
- Never forget to leave the top of the sump, so that it can join the roof/top of the sump.
- Curing should be at least for one week. Don’t fill the tank with water. Curing should be done but check that water is not overfilled because it’s not good to fill the tank before complete curing. So, in case of raining close the sump.
- After someday build another mat with mesh and do centering to support the sump top/roof. Make sure to leave an opening, so that a person can easily get in to clean.
- Note that it is filled using concrete like a mold. So, Mix aggregate, sand, and cement in the right ratio.
- When concrete is done you need to allow two weeks minimum for any roof as per standards. Cure it with water.
- After the roof sets, Dismantle the centering works. Plastering should be done in the interiors of the roof by rounding the inside edges of the roof. So inside of the wall is finished.
- Finish the opening part of the sump. Find the height of the floor and pavement height if the sump is in the parking area. The sump opening is to be finished at a certain height is depending on where the opening is there.
- Close the opening by constructing a wall on the sump opening to the required height. Plaster inside and outside of this wall and place the sump opener on top of the sump and neat plastering.
- Your sump is ready. Before moving the test, the sump to full capacity and see if any leaks or water level reduces.
- Request mason to make the inside walls smoother and not a rough plastering surface. This makes cleaning easier for constructing the sump.